Select Page

“All the Money in the World” will move forward with its December release despite a sexual assault accusation involving Kevin Spacey. The film is still set to premiere at the AFI Fest on Nov. 16, according to the festival.

Spacey plays oil tycoon J. Paul Getty in the Ridley Scott thriller. On Sunday, the Oscar-winning actor was accused by actor Anthony Rapp of making a sexual advance in 1986, when Rapp was 14 years old and Spacey was 26. In a statement, Spacey apologized to Rapp, but said he did not remember the incident, which he said would have been “deeply inappropriate drunken behavior.” He also came out as a gay man. Spacey’s response has drawn fire from the gay community and has put his career in jeopardy.

Netflix announced that the sixth season of “House of Cards,” the political drama that Spacey headlines, will be its last. The streaming giant also said it was “deeply troubled” by the allegations.

“All the Money in the World” is being released by Sony’s TriStar Pictures. A spokeswoman for the studio did not immediately have a comment.

No decision has been reached about whether or not Spacey will do press for the film, according to an insider. At one point Spacey had been seen as a possible Oscar nominee for his transformative work as Getty (he appears in trailers for the picture disguised under heavy makeup). Any awards attention may be torpedoed by the scandal.

Mark Wahlberg and Michelle Williams co-star in “All the Money in the World.” The film looks at the kidnapping of Getty’s grandson by an organized crime group in Italy. It debuts in theaters on Dec. 22.